Thursday, April 5, 2007

I Am the Messenger

Finished the book last night and felt a lot like the way I feel when I watch a scary movie. It starts out and hooks me with some new or scary idea...the plot thickens...I start thinking this may be a pretty good movie...and then the story is taken too far, the characters get on my nerves, the twists and turns become unbelievable and the end is like a quick fix to finish off the movie before it goes over three hours.

Didn't think much of the book.

Somehow it was a page turner but I think the reason was simply because I hoped it would get good. Or better. In my last blog I said I'd throw up if the two of them got together in the end...that whole hallway scene was out of the blue and without reason. I also don't get who the guy was that orchestrated the whole card thing...it was so fuzzy and full of explanations through dialogue at the end that I was just struggling finish the book. I also don't like the whole bank robber coming back and making him look at a mirror. Bull-freaking-crap.

The saddest part is that this book had a lot of potential. In the beginning I liked the idea of this mysterious card and when he went to that first house with the raping, I thought the book may take a serious or relevant turn. A few of the people's stories were touching but in the end of the book...I didn't care.

So what? I finish the book and ask myself SO WHAT?

So, maybe we're supposed to learn that anyone can be who they want to be....mediocrity is not our only choice?

Or, maybe we're supposed to all relate to this average-Joe character and compare him to ourselves: "Hey, I'm just an average guy...maybe if I start helping people I'll get that girl to like me back" or "I don't have many talents, but maybe if I start checking my mail for face cards..."

The list goes on and on and on.

The book didn't touch me personally and I felt the ending was like this quick, abrupt, sloppy five pages to end an almost 400 page book...as quickly as possible. It was too calculated, too sequential for me. The idea is cool, though.

I'd like to hear your take in a million years when your internet is up and running again.

Until then -- what shall we read next?! I want a new author.

No comments: