Thursday, April 5, 2007

I'm back

Okay, digis is my new internet provider and if I get five people to say "coco recommended digis" I can get five years free. So I'm finally back up and running. I haven't caught up yet although I did see that J. Lo would never be a size zero and that there is an investigation in to Anna's physician. I'll have to get reading and then I'll have more to say on that front.

Now, for messenger . . . first off, I was intrigued in the beginning. Like you, I found the premise fresh and interesting. I think the main character is likeable--what's his name again?--and all of them seem, you know, cool or something. The voice works and yeah, the dickhead thing and arse, pretty funny.

However, I agree, it got a little old. I was also like, huh? he can wait like weeks and weeks to do things for these people? How did he know that? He gets the first card and he takes a LONG time to get around to actually doing anything. AND when he has an address, like you said, he "just knows" what to do. Oh, and did you think he'd actually shot the edgar street guy? or I think for some reason I thought he'd shot in the air and the guy freaked out and fell off a cliff. In any case, I thought he was dead until he wonders if he hitched a ride back to town, etc.

Also, how did the someone who orchestrated this whole thing get accomplices? The guy he chases, Barry and Darryl (or whatever their names are) etc. We can discuss this more extensively when you've finished the novel.

Also also, there are a lot of plot points that felt a bit stretched. Fortunately they weren't SO annoying that I wanted to put the book down. I was still intrigued. Especially when Sylvia Plath was a clue. I liked the polynesian family but just some Christmas lights? And how did the guy behind the plan know he'd realize all this stuff about his mom and vice versa. Oh, and I knew from the beginning that the last card was going to be hearts and that his buddies would be the projects. It was inevitable. So, long story short, I understand why this won the printz. It's clever like you said, funny in parts, and has a nice message without feeling too messagy. However, it got a little stale mid-way through and was a bit predictable. Oh well.

I wonder what he did with The Book Thief. It's supposed to be amazing. Do you still want to read it next or do you want a chick read break?

1 comment:

Tolly & Lennon said...

For some reason this blog didn't show up until today...three days later. Glad you're up and running, and yes, I have to agree...JUST Christmas lights?!! Right, great message, blahblah but the hearts cards were a giveaway and ESpecially Audrey was a giveaway. Welcome back.