Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Concerns and Compliments

Concerns: I'm not sure that I buy into the idea that these characters are 19-21 years of age, and they are acting like they're in their mid-40's already. Most people at that age don't have a great job, lots of money or tons of ambition. I think that whole aspect of the book takes away from it's legitimacy because give me a break...a 19 year old can be a cab driver without shame. They act like they're all having a mid-life crisis.

I also keep wondering how he always just knows what to do. Why? If I received those cards, or those names, or those addresses, I would NOT know what to do. Plus, Audrey is the last one left and if they end up together, I might throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Compliments: I like that his mom calls him Dickhead Ed.

At first the concept of the cards intrigued me, but it's almost like I've read about six face cards too many. Oh wait, that's a concern, not a compliment.

More later when I finish but those issues weigh on my mind right now. Not heavily, though, as this book has not affected me as we spoke about earlier on the phone. It's a little too "Pay It Forward" for me without the teacher with burn marks and that creepy kid from Sixth Sense.

No comments: