Monday, April 9, 2007

You're Back

I just saw your blog from a few days ago, so I wanted to comment on a few of your...comments.

First off, I agree -- why did he wait so long to fix each card?

Also, I had to read, then reread that whole shot in the air scene on the cliff...did he shoot him, was it just in the leg so he'd slowly die crawling to a highway, what happened? I finally figured it out but I hate when I feel like steps are skipped by the author. Or maybe I'm just slow...no, the author skipped a few steps.

I didn't realize it had won the prinz (sp?) award. Why didn't I know that? That sort of amazes me. Other teachers who have read it agreed it wasn't THAT that great. They all rave about Book Thief, though. In fact, one has it on her poster of "Book of the Year" she'd recommend to students. It's sitting on my desk and it looks so big and daunting and I keep getting scared there are more face cards I'll have to read about. I'm up for whatever but need a book soon. Now it keeps me sane as these days begin to drag by...

Also, how did he know to give that mom her own ice cream? I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Sort of annoying how he got all the clues right.

I agree; I was intrigued when Sylvia Plath was a clue but then all it led to was Bell Street. However, that movie man made me sort of sad. I did feel for some of the characters but it was almost too brief and spread too thin. Would it KILL Zusack to write a shorter book?

No comments: