Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Mr. J today

Today Mr. J showed up to class wearing red mesh basketball shorts that came down almost to his ankles - I almost asked if they were capri basketball shorts. Shirt sleeves rolled up as usual but today a new twist: slicked back hair.

I have three students who lost their moms over the summer.

I have three girls (that I know of) who are mothers.

I have two expectant fathers, plus Mr. J if he's telling the truth.

I have a girl named Carleny who sounds like she's both deaf and Hispanic...it's this unbelievable accent that leaves me telling her, "Sweetie, I have NO idea what you just said."

Then there's Jason who likes to dye a yin-yang in his hair once in awhile, except right now it's purple and his friend has a mohawk.

Then there's Cortney whose mother paid for a stretch limo and a male stripper for her 16th birthday. She's the only sophomore cheerleader on varsity and she'll tell you so, too.

Then there's Marta on the front row who crouches down in front of the overhead projector screen to take notes. Her parents cannot afford glasses for her this year (Mom called the school). She is quiet but always has an A in my class.

more later...

No comments: