Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Would you like these in your purse?

Congratulations on the drive-through. Until recently, I had no idea this was an issue. I have to wonder the root of these issues -- fear of scraping the car or the fear of doing something alone? Going to a movie alone is truly heaven on earth. Here's a new thing I do alone all the time. Maybe you can try this first.

Today after the gym:

I'm at Smith's picking up fresh produce to make a delicious taco salad for dinner tonight. I haven't eaten since lunch and I suddenly (really, it was suddenly) feel weak and shaky...I need something to eat. So I decide to pick out anything in the store I want and eat it while I shop. Now, I've done this in the past with bottles of water -- drink your water while you shop then pay for it at the counter...but never with food. So this became a fun game; decide what your heart desires, no matter the calories or size, and eat it while you shop. In fact, don't even try to hide it...let people know, "Yeah, I haven't paid for this...you gotta problem with it?" and flaunt the food. Do I want chips? Crackers? Ice cream and meat are tricky...how about peanut butter M&Ms?

I spy a doughnut shelf at the end of an aisle. Suddenly it hits me -- I want old fashioned doughnut holes! Bad news -- no holes. Only chocolate holes and some crappy crumb cake holes. So I nab a whole box of full sized old fashioned doughnuts. And right there, in front of the butcher's counter and a bunch of lawn chairs in the next aisle, I proudly rip open the box, take out a doughnut and take a huge bite. Were there people watching? Yes. And I just kept shopping -- taking out doughnuts as I finished the last bite. By the time I got to the counter, the box was half empty. I was feeling much better and I handed them to the lady with a sheepish smile, "Sorry...the baby was hungry." She nods and flashes me a missing tooth smile.

This is when she asked it, like I'd just bought pack of sugarless gum, "Would you like your doughnuts in your purse?"

And I told her yes.

No comments: